1st Kuwait GBC Annual Green Building
Conference & Expo,
“Sustainable Homes and Green Living”
2-3 April 2019 at Sheikh Jaber Al
Ahmed Cultural Center
Kuwait Green Building Council
PO BOX: 8904, SALMIYA +965 22263222, EXT: 1600
22060, KUWAIT INFO@KUWAITGBC.COM
Under the patronage of … Kuwait Green Building Council is proud to announce the 1st Kuwait GBC Annual Conference & Expo themed “Sustainable Homes and Green Living” will take place between 2-3 April 2019 at Sheikh Jaber Al Ahmed Cultural Center. This year’s conference will address major sustainability issues and their impact on driving a more resilient building environment, sustainable residential communities, neighborhoods and cities for Kuwait, the Gulf Region and beyond.
The conference will focus to cover topics like Green Homes, Green Building Trends and Green Living that go along with the World Green Building Week theme for this year – “HomeGreenHome”, while practical green home solutions, technologies, building codes, policies, standards and certification models and case studies will be presented, discussed and taught at workshops along with the latest achievements in practice and governmental strategies. The conference is targeting to lead a debate on not just our sustainable housing infrastructure but implementation of a greener lifestyle that every Kuwaiti citizen can adhere to. It will help the construction and sustainable development sector learn, share, deliver and lead innovative green building solutions to environmental challenges in Kuwait, the region and the world.
By holding this annual conference for the experts in related fields, KGBC will also be taking up an initiative to spread a general awareness about living more eco-friendly lives in the younger generations of Kuwait. This will hopefully create the demand for certified green homes and multifamily low and high-rise residential buildings as early as possible, leading to a booming sustainable building construction industry in response to this demand and a result of total net zero carbon homes by 2050, in line with the climate change mitigation commitments set up by COP21 and Paris Climate Agreement.
The conference & workshop sessions will be targeting to engage related industry, corporate and individual experts that are interested in green building concepts via speakers, workshops and exhibitors related to building materials & technologies, renewable energy supplies, consultancy services, governmental and non-governmental organizations.
The expo will be targeting the general and business-oriented audience via a unique exhibition for green building technologies and materials, environmental and green living in general, as well as one-on-one consultancy and meetings for business cases and opportunities.
Session style and length: 20 min presentation + 20 min panel
KGBC is committed to providing engaging and interesting platforms for attendees. Therefore, we are offering flexibility in presentation styles to better engage and communicate ideas, but moreover the duration of each presentation should not be longer than 20 minutes presentations before a moderated panel discussion at the end of each session.
- The Conference takes a holistic approach to sustainability in Kuwait by raising awareness about the importance of sustainability to residents’ daily lives.
- The Kuwait Green Building Conference will promote industry and academic practitioners’ best practice and research to deliver sustainable, green building solutions to key environmental challenges.
- KGBC is leading the debate and bridging the gap between theory and implementation of industry best practice to facilitate collaboration that delivers a green real estate portfolio for Kuwait.
- The conference brings together experts from various governmental, non-governmental and private institutions vital to sustainability and green buildings, providing an ideal opportunity for collaboration and serious conversations towards paving the way for responsible sustainable growth.
- Academic researchers will benefit by the selected papers featured in the conference being published in international journals.
- The Conference will attract potential members to the council and facilitate a large productive network of like-minded professionals
- The Kuwait Green Building Council will be established as a leader in bringing sustainable construction trends to local businesses and to the public’s attention
More information about the program can be found at www.kuwaitgbc.com
The conference themes and submittals
The conference is calling for abstracts for conference presentations under the following themes:
1. Livable & Sustainable communities and cities (4 presentations)
National vision and strategies for the development of future smart cities in Kuwait and ensuring sustainability of residential and housing sector in Kuwait; PAHW, MPW, General Secretariat of Supreme Council for Planning and Development urban plans and projects. Sustainability embedded in the Master Plan 2040; Resilient and sustainable cities; sustainable neighborhoods; building policies and regulation; green building codes for homes and low to mid-rise residential buildings, energy codes, Strategic and sustainable solutions for neighborhoods and cities: Renewable energy at neighborhood level; sustainable housing models, etc.
2. Sustainability in practice: new and retrofitting projects and initiatives (4 presentations)
Outstanding New developments, construction and retrofitting initiatives, and projects in Kuwait; Case studies; Lesson learnt and challenges; Recent certified residential projects in Kuwait and the region; Capitalizing on incentives & funding, and mitigating major risks throughout the project lifecycle; Energy efficiency, cost savings and greenhouse gas emissions reduction data; Energy consumption data analysis & virtual benchmarking; Paradigm shift through green mortgages and effective measure for market change etc.
3. Sustainability embedded in vernacular architecture in the Gulf (1 presentations)
Passive Housing Design and Building principles in arid climates; Vernacular Architectural Topology in the Gulf; Sustainability lessons from time-proof houses of the past; Importance of Light & Shadow; Passive heating, cooling and ventilation; Biophilic design and living in balance with nature; Natural light and building orientations; Genius loci and preservation measures, Sense of community and walkability etc.
4. Innovative Solution for Sustainable homes (4 presentations)
Innovative sustainable and green housing projects across the building life cycle; Affordable green homes solutions and opportunities for medium, and low-income green housing; Building, Learning and Living Net-Zero Carbon & Net Zero Energy Homes; Green Operations and Maintenance; Smart building solutions; Indoor environmental quality; Innovative Green building materials and techniques; Renewable energy and BIPV solutions; etc.
5. Sustainable behavior change (3 presentations)
Healthy living behavior, green living habits within residential buildings and neighborhoods; drivers for behavior change; behavior and attitude of a Green Building’s users in occupancy stage; operations & maintenance of green homes; Role of behavioral insights in driving sustainable development, regulating for sustainable behavior; social & environmental sustainability etc.
6. Green Entrepreneurship in practice: Business cases (2 presentations)
Emerging green market opportunities in Kuwait; The evolution of green building ROI: how adding health, well-being, environmental protection, green building values, productivity and efficiency of tenants to the ROI equation; Green materials and green building technologies market opportunities; redefining the ROI for green buildings; Recycling businesses; Circular economy and waste management; Energy and water conservation and grey water recycling; Energy tariffs and governmental incentives for energy conservation and rationalized consumption; Regulations and market forces for green building and green energy; New products, new tools and techniques that can better predict performance of the building; Identification and skills’ development of the future green professionals etc.
7. Green Lifestyle (2 presentations)
Practicing sustainable behaviors within the household, neighborhood and city; Changing the nature of doing things: business cases; Environmental, physical, social, economic, mental well-being, and healthy habits; Opportunity and Challenges etc.
8. Green Farming and agriculture (1 presentations)
Permaculture design solutions; Hydroponic food farming within the household, consequently providing self-sustenance; Renewable energy generation, water conservation and recycling; Sustainable and healthy food production in the desert; Community food resilience; Organic farming etc.
- The scope of the abstract and presentation should be related to one of the Conference Themes which have been identified for this year’s conference. Accepted abstracts will be published in a special conference publication (via pdf. download link) and published on the conference website.
- There is no limit to the number of abstracts an Author may submit. Significant overlap or duplication among abstracts is discouraged and will result in disqualification of the abstracts.
- There is no limit to the number of authors per each abstract.
- All abstracts must be submitted online through the abstract submission page or otherwise stated.
- Abstracts are limited to 550 words and must include a minimum of 4 learning objectives that attendees will be able to achieve after attending the presentation.
- Authors biography should not exceed 150 words.
- All abstracts will be reviewed by Conference Selection Committee.
Presentations selection criteria:
Grading and selection criteria will be based on research quality, originality and merit, written content, and relevance to conference themes. Kuwait Green Building Council will nominate a selected number of abstracts that will be presented during the conference and can be developed into peer-reviewed articles for publication by a third party.
Speakers and Instructors Selection criteria:
Selection criteria will be based on a professional quality of the presentation with the topic that falls under the one of the conference themes. Requirements of Selected Speakers will be based on how relevant the proposal is to the theme of the conference, and the expertise, experience and knowledge of the speaker and the contribution to the sustainable residential development and green lifestyle in Kuwait.
A Conference Selection Committee (min 3 members) chosen from KGBC Committees and Scientific Partners will review abstracts and approve them. Each session along with the panel session will have its designated moderator chosen from KGBC members or Scientific Partners.
Submit your presentation abstract along with a short bio to email@example.com
Workshop 1: LEED v4 for Homes and Multifamily Midrise (8h)
LEED v4 is a program which offers a better approach to building performance by incentivizing strategies around a higher valued credit and higher certification levels to attain better environmental economic and social impacts. The program incites more focus on metering and motoring which encourages Home owners to track energy, water and ventilation rates.
This workshop is intended for those who are interested in learning about the program and how to use the rating system in which will help to attain a more sustainable environment for homes and multifamily mid-rise.
- What is LEED v4?
- Principles of LEED v4 for Homes and Multifamily Midrise
- How does the LEED rating system work?
Eng. EMRE ILICALI
LEED AP, LEED for Homes Green Rater, BREEAM Assessor, IFC Edge Auditor, PMP and Managing Partner from Altensis
Mr. Ilicali is a LEED AP, LEED for Homes Green Rater, BREEAM International Assessor, IFC Edge Auditor. He is also a SPK licensed Real Estate Appraiser.
He is a member of institutions such as ASCE, PMI, GBCI and board member in Turkish Green Building Council.
Altensis is the leading company in Turkey, specialized in Sustainability Management and Engineering services. Since then Altensis has been providing consultancy and project management services for Green Building Certification, Sustainable Urban Regeneration, Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy applications in Buildings. By the end of 2017, He and his team completed more than 200 Green Building Projects in several countries. He is a member of institutions such as ASCE, PMI, GBCI and Board member in Turkish Green Building Council.