Date: 24th September 2019
Registration: 9:30 am – 10 am
Time: 10 am – 5:30 pm
Location: Al Shaheed Park Phase 1 – Gate Lounge
Organizer: Kuwait Green Building Council
Dr. Ioannis Spanos, Sustainability Principal, KEO International Consultants;
Apoorv Vij, Director – Technical Development, GBCI, India;
Deepthy K B, Regional Director, GBCI, LEED AP (BD+C)
Price: Non-Members 160 KWD, Members 120 KWD, Students 80 KWD
KuwaitGBC will host Green Academy on 24th September 2019
Workshop 1: “Net Zero Energy Buildings – a comprehensive approach for construction and operations”
During the workshop, a 90 min lecture will be given on the subjects of Net Zero Energy Developments. The lecture will be split in two sections.
The first section will explore the design of buildings which are targeting a net zero energy consumption during operations. The conclusion of the first section is that net zero energy buildings can be developed in Kuwait under specific technical solutions.
The second section will explain the impact of the energy consumed during materials production and construction of the building. The conclusion of the second section indicates that for a real net energy building, the energy production by renewable technologies needs to be well beyond the requirements of energy consumption during the operations. The extent of the increased renewable energy is dependent on the embodied energy of materials and the energy consumption during construction.
Workshop 2: “Push the envelope of existing buildings: LEED Zero”
For years, LEED projects around the world have aspired towards achieving the goal of net-zero energy, water and waste. It is a powerful goal which has the potential to move the entire industry forward.
In order to recognize leadership of such projects and to inspire others towards this journey, USGBC announced LEED Zero certification in 2018. LEED Zero complements LEED to verify the achievement of net zero goals and signals market leadership in green buildings.
This session will provide participants with a high-level overview into LEED Zero certifications. The participants would be able to understand the requirements of LEED Zero and how projects can achieve LEED Zero certification. The session will conclude with case study examples from the region and at a global level.
Workshop 3: “Introduction to LEED v4.1 O+M”
LEED, or Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, is the most widely used green building rating system in the world. LEED v4.1. is bigger, stronger, bolder:
- Bigger; LEED v4.1. is for all-its more inclusive and allows projects to earn LEED points through building performance monitoring via Arc platform
- Stronger: LEED v4.1. continues to drive performance. In fact, performance outcomes are fully integrated into LEED v4.1. so that you can measure performance on an ongoing basis.
- Bolder: Lessons learnt over 20 years of market engagement using earlier versions of LEED that enables us to develop bespoke solutions for existing buildings, residential projects, cities and communities.
- Learn about:
- The basis of LEED v4.1. and what to expect in the individual credit category
- Why LEED v4.1.?
- How LEED v4.1. streamlines certification for existing buildings.
- What to expect from this latest evolution of the rating systems?
More about GREEN ACADEMY